Frequently Asked Question
What travel documents are required for Bulgaria?
What vaccines/ health documents do I need?
- Be up to date on all your routine vaccinations and please talk to your doctor about other health needs for your trip.
Which airport do I fly into?
- Sofia International Airport
What type of gear and clothing should I pack?
- A detailed packing list will be provided on registration of interest.
What are the physical requirements?
- The fitness level of this course is Medium. You should be physically fit enough to hike for part of the day on uneven trails up and down mountains carrying a small day sack.
What type of electronic plug do they use in Bulgaria?
- There are two plug types. Type C, which has two round pins and Type F, which has two round pins and two earth clips on the side.
What is the voltage of the electronic plugs?
- The standard voltage is 230 V. The frequency is 50 Hz.
How do I book a course?
- To reserve a place on a course all you need to do is book via our ‘booking form’ or contact us via our contact page. On receipt of this, we will acknowledge you and hold you a place. This will be done on a ‘first come basis’ We will then send you details of how to pay your deposit and all supporting information for the course.
Will I receive an invoice and receipt for my records?
- Yes. Once we receive your expression of interest, we will send you our terms and conditions or you can download them from the website. These need to be agreed and signed and we will then invoice you the first payment.
How can I pay for my course?
- Deposits and fees can be paid into our US account, our UK account or into our secure paypal account. Funds can be paid directly or by any of the following means:
- Worldremit, Western union or paypal
Will I need travel insurance?
- Travel insurance is strongly recommended to cover any potential medical, emergencies, missed flights or lost luggage.
What is the age limit?
- 18 or 16 If accompanied by an adult.
Can this count towards university credits?
- Each course will have a detailed itinerary of lessons and experiences included. If you are a college student, you can submit that to your advisor and talk to your administration department to ask about college credits, such as an internship or lab credits. Every university is different.
Will I share a room with someone, or can I room alone?
- Hotel bookings and tents will be set up to pair up same genders unless otherwise requested. If you would like your own room or tent, please inform us so that we may make those arrangements for you. If you are attending with your spouse or partner, we will keep you paired together. For single occupancy, you will have to pay a single occupancy supplement.
What if I have a dietary requirement?
- Please inform us of any allergies or preferences on your application so that we can be sure to arrange for those needs with our in-country partners.
Are flights and airport transfers included in the price?
- No. Travelling to the country of the course and getting to your hotel is your responsibility. We will be responsible for all travel from the initial meeting to the end drop off. Please see the individual itinerary for details of these.
Is there a waiting list for courses?
- No, but this will be subject to availability. If you are interested in a particular course, please submit an expression of interest via our contact page and we will advise.
Can I cancel my trip and get a refund?
- Yes, subject to our Terms and Conditions which you will be required to read and acknowledge as acceptance of your booking.
Why do the courses have different prices?
- We work with our partners to try to keep the prices down as much as possible for your affordability. Course prices are based on the costs for us to cover stipends for partner personnel, logistics and permits in accordance to the current rate, which differs in each location.
Will there be Wi-Fi on the trip?
- Wi-Fi will be available within the cities and most main towns of locations. If a course has days in a more remote field station or field camp location, Wi-Fi may be unavailable, but if we can, we will endeavor to provide it.
How do you handle Covid-19?
- Covid-19 policies will be followed based on the country of the course. Many countries may still require proof of vaccination status to enter, please double check those requirements before you travel. Masks are optional but recommended if a participant has a cough. If a participant becomes ill with Covid-19 symptoms, we will test for positivity and arrange for the participant to be removed from the group and follow quarantine requirements for that country.
What do I do if a link on the website isn’t working?
- Oh no! We’re sorry if something on the website is acting glitchy. Please don’t hesitate to contact us to let us know so that we can it fixed right away!